Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums
XNA Resources
XNA Resources ->  General Discussion -> XNA Resource News -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Zune Text File Viewer Tutorial
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> XNA Resource NewsMessage format

Kurt Jaegers
Posted 2009-12-12 12:00 AM (#131)
Subject: Zune Text File Viewer Tutorial

Better late than never!  :)

This has actually been hanging around on my hard drive for quite a while, but with upgrading my PC to Windows 7 and other various things that have cropped up over the last few months, I haven't had time to get it properly formatted and posted up as a tutorial.

But now here it is.  This is the second of my "mini tutorials", and covers a quick project I put together to experiment with both my Text Handling class, and doing things on the Zune.  Fair warning: There isn't much of a practical use to this project as is.  The tutorial takes you through building an app for the Zune (works on Windows as well... and no real reason it wouldn't work on the XBox) that lets you browse through text files on your Zune device.  Due to the restrictions associated with the Zune, however, the only way to get text files on the device is to include them as content objects in your project.

That said, there are some useful things covered here, including building a Visual Studio solution that contains a project for both Windows (for testing purposes) and a project for the Zune (for deployment purposes).  We do things like add a scroll bar to indicate how far along in the text we are, and save the location we were last at in a file so we can come back to it later using Storage Containers.

You can find the tutorial here.

On a side note, I've gotten a couple of e-mail questions about tile engines and the like.  I do have some newer material on this front, and hope to put some of it together in the near future.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2014 PD9 Software