Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums
XNA Resources
XNA Resources ->  General Discussion -> XNA Resource News -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Tile Engine Tutorial Series - Parts 2 and 3
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> XNA Resource NewsMessage format

Kurt Jaegers
Posted 2010-12-13 6:23 PM (#185)
Subject: New Tile Engine Tutorial Series - Parts 2 and 3

Note: I've updated Part 3 because I realized I forgot to include the image and explanation for how we arrive at the offset values and spacing for the hexagonal tiles. That information is now integrated into the tutorial.

I've just posted the second and third installments of the new Tile Engine Tutorial Series.

In Part 2, we cover using larger tile sets, and creating layered effects by building stacks of tiles on an individual map square.

In Part 3, we look at our first alternate-shaped map tile, the Hexagon.

The series will continue in Part 4, where we will adapt our engine to support Isometric tiles.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
ZebulonPi
Posted 2010-12-16 9:21 AM (#194 - in reply to #185)
Subject: RE: New Tile Engine Tutorial Series - Parts 2 and 3

New user

LOL Kurt... you mention long appreciating the GameDev article on tile transitions, and I've had that bookmarked forever.

Meaning this in a totally non-stalking way, but you and I seem to be VERY similar in our interests. I'm a SQL Developer, been programming since my Vic-20, am working on my first book (fiction, not comp related)... there must be a certain person archetype that we're cut from.

Loving the series, and will continue to follow along with you. I may take it on myself to implement the GameDev transition engine on your engine backbone... if I do, I'll post screenshots!
Kurt Jaegers
Posted 2010-12-16 4:45 PM (#195 - in reply to #194)

ZebulonPi - 2010-12-16 11:21 AM

LOL Kurt... you mention long appreciating the GameDev article on tile transitions, and I've had that bookmarked forever.

Meaning this in a totally non-stalking way, but you and I seem to be VERY similar in our interests. I'm a SQL Developer, been programming since my Vic-20, am working on my first book (fiction, not comp related)... there must be a certain person archetype that we're cut from.

Loving the series, and will continue to follow along with you. I may take it on myself to implement the GameDev transition engine on your engine backbone... if I do, I'll post screenshots!

Yep, sounds alot like me!

Probably the biggest reason I've never done the transition engine thing is a complete inability to draw just about anything that looks good, so I haven't been able to put together a good tile set to use with it.

Part 4 of the series is coming along nicely, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I found a nice, free tileset to us for it, and the results look really good.
Kurt Jaegers
Posted 2010-12-16 5:11 PM (#196 - in reply to #195)

Also, a quick note that I updated the Part 3 tutorial because I the image of the zoomed in tile with dimensions and the explanatory text of how the measurements and spacing are arrived at got left in the copy-and-paste bin!
ctLocke
Posted 2010-12-17 5:35 AM (#197 - in reply to #196)
Subject: Re: New Tile Engine Tutorial Series - Parts 2 and 3

New user

Hey Kurt, I've been following along with the basics of the tile engine series, and I think I'm getting the hang of it! I was just wondering where you plan on taking this series. Will you be going the rpg route and creating tutorials for adding sprites, quests, and a battle engine? or is this more or less strictly just for maps?

cheers,
Kurt Jaegers
Posted 2010-12-18 4:20 AM (#198 - in reply to #197)
Subject: Re: New Tile Engine Tutorial Series - Parts 2 and 3

ctLocke - 2010-12-17 7:35 AM

Hey Kurt, I've been following along with the basics of the tile engine series, and I think I'm getting the hang of it! I was just wondering where you plan on taking this series. Will you be going the rpg route and creating tutorials for adding sprites, quests, and a battle engine? or is this more or less strictly just for maps?

cheers,

At the moment I'm sticking with the map aspect of the engine, though after I've covered what I have planned, I could certainly expand to other RPG focused aspects.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software