Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums
XNA Resources
XNA Resources ->  General Discussion -> XNA Resource News -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tile Engine Tutorial Series : Character on Iso Map - Part 2
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> XNA Resource NewsMessage format

Kurt Jaegers
Posted 2011-06-14 6:15 PM (#297)
Subject: Tile Engine Tutorial Series : Character on Iso Map - Part 2

Part 9 of the Tile Engine Tutorial Series is now available.

This installment finishes up adding a player-controlled character to the Isometric engine, accounting for slopes associated with map tiles and for setting which tiles on the map the character can walk on.

We finish up this installment by sorting out the draw depth for our character so he appears appropriately within the world.

The installment can be found on the Tutorials Page or via Direct Link.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
xnauser
Posted 2011-07-27 7:25 AM (#316 - in reply to #297)
Subject: RE: Tile Engine Tutorial Series : Character on Iso Map - Part 2

New user

I'm trying to take your latest tutorial and a different kind of movement. I dont want the player to be able to move the character but have the character move around the tiles himself. What would be the best way to implement that into your tutorial if I just want the character to move tile to tile and then allow the mouse to select that character based on what tile it is in? Also i want the character to be centered on the tiles when moving so basically its like the character is on a track.
Kurt Jaegers
Posted 2011-07-30 9:56 AM (#317 - in reply to #316)
Subject: RE: Tile Engine Tutorial Series : Character on Iso Map - Part 2

Moving a non-player controlled character isn't really any different... The source of the destination is just not the player's input.

I would suggest checking out the Sprite Engine tutorial, particularly the parts about waypoint based movement. You could assign your characters waypoints based on world-coordinates and move toward them each turn. You would need to either pre-program a route or implement some kind of pathfinding system to prevent them from jumping up onto cliffs or getting stuck when they can't transition between heights.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2014 PD9 Software